Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Barb's rugs for special events by Sybil - my Milestones?

OK to start with just a few rugs I have hanging or lying around hooked for me (Barb) by Sybil (Mom)...

Original Design - Barb's story to University Graduation... Hooked by Sybil in Barb's favorite theme - Bears!  Every square depicts an event or milestone in the journey from baby to University graduation from Trent University.  What a treasure...
(When:  around 1987 Graduation year! Size is about 4' x 3' each square is 12" x 12")

Another milestone rug...
Original Design - In Barb's favorite rose colours, and for our first Home (Bungalow in Richmond Hill on Boisdale Ave)
From our wedding and up until this year, we had this rug as the centre piece in our living room - then the Emily Carr's were hooked and the colour theme changed!  The rug is now on our bedroom floor where Cooper has made a few 'catches' in the loops when he jumps on and off the bed.  I did not want to hide it away in a chest somewhere and besides it was too big to fold!
(When:  1991 - For 20 years it rested on a living room floor - size is 54" x 78")



Original Design - "Barbara"
Ballerina ready for the concert - posed for a ballet photo at around age 12.  Another favorite, I love that the ballet slippers were attached as part of the hooking and ribbon added for the ankle ties... (The original point shoes were attached, I actually added the other pair when I found them in a drawer.)  This warms my heart as Mom played piano when I practiced the lessons and drove me to Owen Sound for Sheila Milne Highland Dance and Eleanor Brennan Ballet lessons, we went a LOT and then on to Oakville for some lessons as I got older until 16 when I was a passenger in a snowmobile accident.  I went on to teach for a few years before I went off to college.   
(When:  not sure? - size if 18" x 27")


Original Design - Barb and Bill's Wedding Rug
Now this is a gem!  When I walked down the aisle in our back yard on a beautiful day Sept 7, 1991 it was not until I got to the 'alter area' that I looked down and said "Oh Mom" and almost cried... what a beautiful surprise... Bill and I stood on this for our wedding vows, how can you beat that!  I believe my dog Sam also joined us there (Barb forgot Bill's ring in the house and a friend, Thanks Joey, ran into the house to get them but dear Sam got out... This hangs in our bedroom; always has, always will.  
(When:  1991  size - 16" x 37") 


No comments:

Post a Comment